Saturday, December 10, 2011

Seconds after arrival.

I dont even know where to begin! I guess I will start by saying around November 16th-17th I think my water started to break VERY slowly. I went in for my scheduled doctor check up on November 18th (Friday) I had a feeling Layla would be making her arrival so I asked Preston to call off of work. My mom and sister came over and Preston and I went to the doctor. I should say my doctor was on vacation that week, so I had to see a midwife I was not really familiar with. She did my exam........and "Accidentally" broke my water!! For every woman who has had their water broke..you know what Im talking about!I was immediately wheeled over to labor and delivery and we knew that November 18th would be "D Day!!" I started contracting just fine on my own, but apparently the midwife on call did not agree, so Pitocin was started at my dismay. The first few hours werent too bad. Tolerable at least. However around 430pm contractions were very intense(about 1-2 minutes apart, many times just 1 minute apart) and before 6pm I was asking for my epidural....I mean crying for my epidural. The midwife said she called for the epidural. However if I could make the story short, Let me just say the epidural NEVER came. Around 730pm there was no staff available. My sister,mom and Preston listened to me scream "I need to push!!!" for about 30 minutes. And again anyone that has had a baby knows when you think you have to push...You HAVE to!" Finally when I was yelling loudly enough the new midwife on shift came in, sat at the edge of the bed, checked me and told me that I was having the baby NOW! Needless to say I had the baby after just 3-4 pushes completely drug free on a regular hospital bed...and the midwife wasnt even gowned up or ready. Actually there was nothing ready! It was a very memorable experience to say the least. In the end both of us were healthy, which is the most important thing.



The baby was blue when she came out! Very scary. My sister captured the first picture seconds after she was born. Maybe its not for the weak stomachs, but its actually my favorite picture. Notice in the second picture, my moms hands at the top right and Preston's hands... they were the ones rubbing her immediately after she was born.





No comments:

Post a Comment